Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Money, Basketball and Halloween

Money
It is easy to be idealistic in college - especially at Olaf. I remember writing an essay on Thomas Hobbes's theory of human nature - that human action springs solely from self-preservation. It depressed the hell out of me. I also remember reading Nietzsche and Freud and realizing they presented a world void of love, self sacrifice or goodness. They rattled my worldview, self-view and God-view. I looked around, however, and I saw love. I went to Guatemala and Arkansas and home, and I saw goodness and selflessness. It's a long story, but I came away from college realizing we are more than animals driven by the desire to eat and make babies. I came away believing in the power of love, and I left Olaf ready to embrace the world.
The thing is, it is easy to be idealistic in college. Last week I was getting off the subway during rush hour. I've found that I'm not as in love with rush hour as I was the first few weeks. I was feeling alone, worried and tired, and as I was getting off the train, this little woman pushed me aside while trying to board. Actually, it was more of a shove. An instant rage pulsed through my body - really, it was rather invigorating. I turned with eyes like lasers and had a string of words ready that would make her ears bleed. All of my insecurity, anxiety and fear were bubbling inside of me and I couldn't wait to spew it all over this nasty little woman. But as I turned, I realized she was crying. Her nose was puffy and red and her makeup was smeared around her eyes. I stood there in the doorway and saw her sitting in the corner with her head bent into her lap. My anger dissipated like a vapor as I stepped off the train. I remember just standing on the platform as its metal sides whisked past me wondering what had happened to me.
I had almost lost my temper with a complete stranger for bumping me during rush hour. I realized that my focus had entirely been on me. I find myself worrying about me more than I ever have in my life. I worry about money. I worry about my future. I worry about acting. I worry about making friends. I worry, and I forget about the world around me. I found myself riding the train last week in total boredom. I was doing what I found so intriguing my first week there. I put my ipod on loud (something a little emo) and sat thinking about my life. On the third stop a beggar got on the train, and I turned my ipod on louder. When he got off I felt sick. I had allowed my financial and social insecurity to suck me into myself. I didn't care about anyone in that train. I had problems....
It is really easy to be idealistic in college and really easy to be selfish every where else. It is depressing seeing people cheat, steal and lie to gain power and money. It is more depressing, however, to think that you might do the same.
I think we can choose to be human. What if everyone in that car decided at one time to be completely open? What if every time we got on that train in the morning, we decided to be friends? New York would be a beautiful place. On one side of the car, two people would be making tailgating plans for the next Giant game, and on the other side, three people would be comforting an old woman who outlived her son. It takes guts to be open - to be idealistic - to believe. But I'm an actor and a writer because I believe, and I know I won't survive in New York or anyplace without it.
Basketball
I've started playing basketball in a park close to where I live. I love it. I haven't played basketball for a long time, but I look forward to it every day. The guys I play with are in their twenties and thirties and are mostly Greek, Italian and Asian. Fouling an Italian is a scary experience. Yesterday, one guy stormed off the court and went home mid game. A couple of days ago, I was thinking about why I've had this intense desire for competition and basketball. I thought it may be the camaraderie, the exercise, the human contact, but I concluded that it was because the game is black and white. In many ways, I feel lost in New York. I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing, where I'll be working, what I'm feeling, etc, etc, and it is so refreshing to take part in something that is so concrete. Put the ball in the hoop and stop your man from putting the ball in his hoop. Easy. I know the rules, the expectations; I know exactly what I'm doing and exactly who is in my way. New York is also a big game - I just haven't learned how to dribble or where the hell I'm shooting.
Halloween
I thought the subway was foreign my first time traveling on it, the subway on Halloween is Lord of the Rings meets Alice in Wonderland in the Willy Wonka Factory. For example, on one ride I saw Santa Clause and his nine reindeer next to a mob of teenage zombies singing "Thriller" while Elvis Presley looked on in disgust. Everyone was talking, laughing, often kissing, and usually drinking. In a way, it was nice to see. Maybe there is a lot of love in New York, you just need to drink enough wine and wear the right mask to experience it.



7 comments:

  1. "In a way, it was nice to see. Maybe there is a lot of love in New York, you just need to drink enough wine and wear the right mask to experience it."

    I LOVE this. You were born to be a writer. Wow. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, thats deep... I know this isn´t the moment but that reminded me of the time when an old man on the bus ispired me to wrote something and made me realize what happens when we care only for ourselves and we neglect all around us ...

    U got a point there...

    Lol, maybe you don´t need to experience "that" kind of love because it´s fake and only appears when liquor takes control, what you need it´s to show people true love that is inside of you and then, they will want what you have to give. But I know what you meant and I´m completely agree with Joanna!
    This is what you have to do and this is what we need you do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was reading up on another friend's life. . . she was talking about the metaphor of climbing at a rock wall - how she can feel completely comfortable and safe with the rope strapped to her. As long as she is only 2 feet off of the ground. She said that she wished that the ground would simply fall away, leaving her clinging to the wall and forcing her to trust the rope.

    I told her that I've never seen life like that. I see that life can only truly be lived if you force yourself to do something completely outside of your comfort. In other words, cut the rope and have faith that God is making an awfully big pile of feathers (or, more fall-appropriate: leaves) at the base of the wall.

    I'm so glad that you decided to cut the rope and do something completely unexpected (sort of like Ben and his pursuit of Jazz, and if I ever get the courage to become a for-real potter).

    I have loved reading thusfar, keep updating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. David, thank you for your comments about riding the subway. I just got back to my room after riding the train with my ipod in (and loud) and it's a completely different experience - it's a conscious decision to be self-focused. I agree that being in a big city like NYC (or Zurich), where people appear busy and hurried, makes it that much harder to "feel the love."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that to most people, New York is overwhelming and it's so incredibly easy to see all the self-absorbed, self-pitying people within its borders; but at the real heart of New York, if you look closely enough, you can indeed see and feel the love. That woman, the one that appeared to be so rude, I wonder if you would have been able to follow her home, if you would have found someone show an act of kindness towards her. Whether it be a comforting glance, or holding the door for her; one small act to make whatever it is that's crushing her, have one less ounce of momentum against her.

    I challenge you, to look for the good that lies within the heart of New York and its wonderful people. Instead of seeing all those selfish, busy people, let them pass you by and search for the kind souls, I think you'll be surprised. It's those little moments/acts of kindness that have an impact on your daily life and routine - those are the things to be grateful for, those are the things that let you feel and believe in the possibility of love!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This blog post dealt with my emotional detachment from the people around me. I came to New York ready to jump in, and I felt myself wanting to go sit in the whirl pool. I wasn't saying there aren't loving, open people in New York; I was commenting on my own closure.
    These blogs don't represent the truth of New York. They are simply thoughts on a page where I'm exploring the new world I find whirling about me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't like writing long responses so much because I feel that I can't express what it is to read your blogs. Maybe it's because your my brother and maybe it's because you write beautifully, but these little blogs really inspire me to... I'm not sure yet but they inspire the hell out of me.

    ReplyDelete