Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Wandering, Wondering and Drug Dealers

Wandering
You walk everywhere in New York. Actually, you walk everywhere really fast in New York - at least everyone else does. I don't have a reason to walk quickly yet, but I'm sure when I do, I'll race with the best of them. When walking in mass places, I always find it interesting how people come into and out of my life. For example, I could sit next to someone in the park, make small talk for five minutes, and then leave in the opposite direction never to see him again. Yesterday when I left the subway, I told one guy to have a good life - have a good life! Crazy thought. It makes me feel small and insignificant and makes me wonder about life. He will go on living without even remembering my existence. I sometimes feel relieved. I look around and see someone running to get something done, and I ask myself who actually cares if that person is on time? Not me. Not the thousands of other people stepping to get out of his way as he maniacally sprints forward. I guess it matters to his boss, who controls his salary, which affects his marriage, kids, dreams, future - see that's the problem. I get sucked into it too. I don't know. I just feel like I understand the world and my own life better when I forget about agendas and view it as a series of connections - of hellos and goodbyes passed between people floating into and out of each other's lives.

Wondering
The past week has been challenging. Moving to a new place is like jumping into a lake in April. Your head is full of memories from last August when the lake was as warm as the muggy air. You leap out of the car, race to the dock, tear off your shirt and shoes and jump. The air feels great but the water shoots cold steel through your spinal cord, you can't breath and your testicles shrivel like raisins. You look around and question the decision, thinking it would have been better to have gone golfing - or gone to grad school, stayed in Minneapolis, applied for the Peace Corps.
It took me all of college to accept the importance of art and theatre. I knew I loved it, but I couldn't rate its importance. It's easy to see the value of doctors, social workers, mechanics and teachers. We need them in society, even in the midst of an economic crisis. But theatre? Couldn't we survive on reality TV? Well, it's a long story, but I do believe in theatre. I believe in the importance and power of telling stories well, and I believe in art as an exploration, a question, an answer, a plea, a statement, an evaluation, a reflection, a hope and much more. I needed to write this paragraph because I need to remember these ideas when shivering on the edge of the dock wanting to get back in the car to go home.

Drug Dealers
Craigslist embodies everything sketchy about the internet. It is a place where anyone can post anything hoping to lure anyone into doing anything for them. I've been looking for apartments and jobs on this website and have "met" some real winners. First, there was a lady doing "peace work" all over Africa. She owned an apartment in Brooklyn and told me that she was too busy doing "peace work" and couldn't find anyone to take her apartment. Even though her emailed reply could have been written by an illiterate 3rd grader (really, it was horrible), I didn't suspect much until she asked me to send two months rent to her address (which wasn't in Africa). Once she got my money, she would send me the keys to the house. She told me that even though I couldn't see the apartment until I actually started renting it, I could enjoy her three skewed pictures plastered on the craigslist page. Really? Does anyone fall for this stuff?
I actually received four emails very similar to this one, but the shadiest one was from a man supposedly splitting time between France and Australia (random). I replied to his ad for a personal assistant, and he emailed me five minutes later. He told me that the job would be easy: he would send me packages every week, and I would need to forward them to destinations all over America. He was going to pay me a lot of money, but after a five minute internal debate, I decided to not get involved with the international drug trade.

I hope you are enjoying my blog. It's not going to be a linear life summery because I'm realizing that just like my life, I don't want a blog that is plot-driven.



5 comments:

  1. Not getting involved with the international drug trade -- probably a *good* choice. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I can't relate to the shriveling phenomenon, I can very much relate to questioning the decision. Would it have been easier to stay at home- YES. But I think what you want out of life is bigger than what you already have in your comfort zone... at least that's what I try and remind myself on days that leave me lost and alone. Just don't let those days define the experience, because once your body gets adjusted to the temperature, the lake might not be as cold as you thought...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like I made the jump today. I am traveling alone for the first time and am forced to use my spanish to help other travelers. Funny how things can change in two months.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I DO BELIEVE in you. I think it´s very brave to take that desicion and leave all your warm-comfortable-life to conquer your dreams and follow your heart. I just learned that sometimes you need to leave all your comfort and do things that you haven´t done yet if you want to see things that you haven´t seen yet!

    The Bible says "That whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he saith" and i totally believe in that But sometimes there are mountains that we DO NOT HAVE to move but that we have to climb and cross over and that requires effort and dedication. David, if you cut if you cut the process you will end the progress

    ReplyDelete
  5. Be gratefull for the wisdom you´ve recieved and because you´re inteligent enough for getting involved in those stupid stuff´s. Life isn´t all bad but sometimes suck´s and our job isn´t to make all people think as we do because we´ll fail repeatedly, but make them see the good things of it through our eyes.

    Thats your job, that´s what the world needs, people who can dare to tell what it´s needed, now and it depends of us live a happy and rewarding life or a miserable and precarious life!

    It´s because of your experiences and knowledge of human life what will make you succed! and remember always that you will see awfull things but that should be your fuel to say things as they are, to benefit the most in need and thereby achieve the hearts of people.

    I'm not saying this just to be nice or brighten up your ear, but because ur in the right place in the right time and with the right motivation following things to your heart and I do not believe you've made a bad desicion.
    Te quiero chico, ánimo!

    ReplyDelete